Providence Public Library is proud to sponsor and host the Rhode Island Independent Publishing Expo (RIPExpo), a summer weekend devoted to small-press and self-published comics, zines and books. Artists and writers from all over North America will join local creators to share work and generate discussion. RIPExpo is committed to giving voice to those underrepresented in mainstream media. This event will run through August 2nd and August 3rd, from noon to 6:00pm both days.
Special guests include:
- Jacob Khepler of Mothers News: Jacob Khepler is the spokesperson for the award-winning monthly newsprint publication Mothers News. He lives in Providence RI.
- Lale Westvind: Lale Westvind lives and works in New York City making comics and animations. Author of Hot Dog Beach and Hyperspeed to Nowhere series. She’s in a new band called Gun Tit with Tom Toye of Illogical Comics. She won an Ignatz Award for Hot Dog Beach in 2012 and Hyperspeed to Nowhere was nominated for one in 2013.
- Leah Wishnia: Leah Wishnia is an artist and cartoonist currently living and working in NYC. She is the editor and publisher of the comic & art anthology HAPPINESS, and does a variety of freelance illustrative work on the side.
- Suzy X.: Suzy X. is a writer, cartoonist, and musician living in Brooklyn, New York. She is a staff contributor at Rookie Mag, MTV Iggy and Bitch Magazine. She fronts witchy punk band Shady Hawkins and volunteers regularly at the Willie Mae Rock Camp For Girls. She graduated from the New School in 2011 with a BA in Writing and a minor in Gender Studies.
- Sophie Yanow: Sophie Yanow was born north of San Francisco in 1987. In 2011 she moved to Montreal, and with the Colosse collective published In Situ, her acclaimed autobiographical queer comics series. Her work has been exhibited throughout the US and Canada. She lives in Montreal.
- Mickey Zacchilli: Mickey Zacchilli was born in 1983 and lives in Providence, RI.
Featured image from The Evolving Critic.